Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) platform
Combination of electron-beam evaporated metal deposition and sputter-deposition with various possible materials. The tool is most suitable for coupons and 200mm wafers, but can also deposit on full 300mm wafers. Since it is not located inside our CMOS-cleanroom, we are free to try different new materials and material combinations in order to explore novel technologies.
The range of materials/layers includes:
- HfO2 based ferroelectrics for FeRAM and FeFET
- High-k oxides (SiO2, ZrO2), TiN and TaN electrodes for non-volatile memory
- Mask assisted deposition of dot electrodes (Ti, Ni, Pt, Cu) or other structures for electrical characterization
- Adhesion layers (Ti, Cr)
- Film thickness ranges from 5nm to 1µm
- Kurt J. Lesker Company PRO Line PVD 200
- Process chamber with one electron-beam evaporation source and two sputter sources.
- E-Beam: 6 slots available, currently installed materials: Ti, Pt, Ni, Cr, Cu
- Sputter: 1 DC and 1 RF source, possible materials: Ti, Ta, Hf (DC) and SiO2, HfO2, ZrO2 (RF), Oxygen and Nitrogen for reactive sputtering
Semi-automatic operation, one sample (200 mm wafer) or up to six coupons (clamped to a 200 mm disc) at a time, only room-temperature processing (no heater). Full 300 mm wafers possible, but this requires a vacuum break and sample holder adjustment.
- Disruptive Devices
- Advanced Integration
Key Enabling Capability
- Devices / Test Structures
Fraunhofer offers research and development to partners which do not have own manufacturing possibilities. Therefore small companies or universities could experiment with conformal covered deep trench structure for 3D applications (3D capacitors). Another use case is to gather experiences with different precursors or even test the introduction of a new precursors if compatible.