PhoxLab – Benchmarking DCI
The services of the platform enable and support businesses and innovation of photonics industry. The independent non-profit platform as a one-stop-shop is covering services such as design, fabrication, packaging, test and characterization, training, and individual studies and roadmaps. PhoxLab is worldwide first and unique with its capabilities to address Photonic Data Center in order to generate new businesses and opportunities by lowering the entry barrier to access successfully demonstrated R&D results, solutions.
The availability of the state-of-the art benchmarking environment is essential for the qualification of next-generation components, such as photonics interconnects. Photonics interconnects benchmarking platform includes starting from basic characterization (PIV analysis, optical spectrum, temperature behaviour from 20°C to 200°C):
- Small-signal measurements (incl. the S11 and S21 parameters, small-signal bandwidth, RF matching, resonance behaviour)
- Large-signal measurements/analysis (eye diagrams, Q-factor, extinction ratio, bit pattern effects, measurements of the bit error rate as a function of the optical signal-to-noise ratio and / or the received data symbol rates up to 50 GBd and for various modulation formats, transmission experiments with single or multimode fiber optic connections)
- Back-to-back measurements (eye / constellation diagrams, optical / electrical spectra, bit error rate)
- Transmission measurements (rack-to-rack, board-to-board, chip-to-chip transmission, single and multimode, eye / constellation diagrams, optical / electrical spectra, bit error rate)
TRL Focus: TRL1 to TRL6
- Services provided
- Collaborative Research
- Concept validation and prototyping
- Testing and validation
- Pre-competitive series production
- Education and skills development
- On chip, module
- NRZ, PAM4, and more
- AWG 100GS/s
- Real time scope 200GS/s
- Nano for Quantum Technologies
- Disruptive Devices
- Advanced Integration
Key Enabling Technologies
- Metrology / Characterisation: Optical and Electrical
SMEs require large invest to benchmark and showcase their solution/products in an established testing environment.
PhoxLab provides a test and characterisation platform for photonic devices, components or sub-systems for Data Centers. Photonic interconnect solutions directly addressing growing data center market.
Each EU- and national project consortia require dedicated resources to demonstrate their results, leading to the fact that each project addresses a new set-up for their demonstrations. PhoxLab provides a sustained demonstration platform with defined interfaces to create synergies between projects. That will enable concentrated resources for the main objectives of R&D projects and enhance capabilities for testing in an advanced environment.
R&D in the field of photonic interconnect solutions directly addressing growing data center market. H2020-L3MATRIX (Project ID: 688544) and H2020-5G-PHOS (Project ID: 761989) used PhoxLab infrastructure to demonstrate the performances their demonstrators in an enhanced platform.