7th ASCENT+ Newsletter – February 2023
|Message by ASCENT+ Coordinator|
|Success Story: Transnational Access|
|Updated Booklet for SMEs|
|Upcoming Workshop in Tarragona|
|Upcoming ASCENT+ Webinar|
Message by ASCENT+ Coordinator
Our coordinator, Giorgos Fagas from Tyndall, recorded the following video to give you insights on recent ASCENT+ results halfway through our project and to let you know about our initiatives to reach as many SMEs and early career researchers as possible.
Success Story: Transnational Access
Valeriy Shunkov, affiliated with POLYN Technology (London, United Kingdom) was granted Transnational Access through ASCENT+. Another success story of our free-of-charge programme, bringing science together from all over the world!
Problem at POLYN Technology
The AI world has been looking for a technology that allows neural networks to work off-line while consistently performing with high accuracy, under very little power, with the ability to read data directly from analog sensors, and that is cost effective.
Semiconductor grade deposited ultrathin TaN on wafer level is a suitable candidate as a robust high-resistance layer for resistors. Thus, Valeriy was provided access to Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) at Fraunhofer IPMS.
“The joint project of Fraunhofer Mikroelektronik and POLYN Technology to develop a special process as one of the elements of next-generation POLYN’s Neuromorphic Analog Signal Processor (NASP) was successfully completed. ASCENT+ provided POLYN with a unique opportunity to utilize Fraunhofer IPMS’ expertise in microelectronics. We look forward to continuing our collaboration.”
Thanks to ASCENT+, a collaborative solution was found for POLYN Technology. Click here for more TA success stories.
If you have any questions about how our programme might help you, please do not hesitate to Contact Us. If you have a technical query, fill an online enquiry here.
Updated Booklet for SMEs
Our programme makes SMEs’ life easier, quicker and more efficient by giving them access, free-of-charge to state-of-the-art technology and expertise.
Learn more about all your opportunities: Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) – ASCENT+
If you have any questions about how our programme might help you, please do not hesitate to Contact Us
Upcoming Workshop in Tarragona
At the beginning of May 2023, ASCENT+ will be organising a free Community Workshop on “Advanced Materials and Nanostructures for Disruptive Devices & Applications” with the objectives to:
- Present results from the ASCENT+ Joint Research Activities
- Interact with invited speakers
- Receive feedback from the ASCENT+ Community of Users
The workshop will take place on May 9th and is a satellite event to the EuroSOI-ULIS Conference on May 10-12.
- Session 1:
- Future Computing
- Session 2:
- Disruptive Devices
- Session 3:
- Advanced Materials and Devices Integration
More information: ASCENT+ Community Workshop.
Upcoming ASCENT+ Webinar
Our colleagues Urmimala Chatterjee and Tobias Erlbacher will present a webinar on Power Electronics. Urmimala and Tobias work on different platform technologies, GaN and SiC respectively. We are looking forward to sharing their complementary experience and views on the topic, leading to interesting innovative discussions!
- GaN power IC for power electronics (Urmimala Chatterjee, imec)
- It is well known that GaN technology can drive the high frequency operation for power circuits beyond today’s limit. However, this extremely good frequency capability introduces some challenges to operate the transistor efficiently. Although discrete GaN devices today dominate the GaN market, monolithically integrated GaN power IC fully utilizes the fast-switching capability of GaN technology by reducing the parasitic and ringing, that enables a fast efficient switching operation. The goal of this tutorial is to introduce the details of monolithically integrated GANICs in all GaN technology. This monolithic integration in GaN technology faces some technological and circuit level challenges. As a potential solution IMEC proposes to implement it on GaN-on-SOI (silicon on insulator) substrate with trench isolation to fully isolate the HEMTs as well as their respective silicon device layers that are cut off horizontally by a trench. This tutorial will take you to a deep dive into IMEC’s GaN-on-SOI technology.
- SiC Technology – Towards future Power Devices & ICs (PD Dr.-Ing. Tobias Erlbacher, Fraunhofer IISB)
- Silicon carbide (SiC) has turned into an established material for high voltage power semiconductor devices. This talk will start with a brief recap of the SiC device and processing history to date. On the basis of this success, the presentation will then focus on chances to further exploit the availability of SiC manufacturing technology in combination with 150mm and 200mm processing lines and recent developments towards new horizons. Present trends in power device fabrication are summarized and discussed. This includes TrenchMOS and Superjunction devices as well as bipolar SiC switches. Additionally, the presentation features the utilization of SiC CMOS technology towards integrated circuits for harsh environments. High temperature analog signal amplification will serve as an example. Additionally, some of the challenges involved with doping Silicon carbide and the corresponding modelling will be addressed. Finally, the presentation will include a summary towards SiC fabrication technology on 150mm and 200mm wafers.
For more details about this Webinar, follow this link or click HERE to register to attend.
Sep 2022 | May 2022 | Jan 2022 | Sep 2021 | Jul 2021 | Mar 2021
Jul 2019 / Apr 2019 / Jan 2019 / Oct 2018 / Jul 2018 / Apr 2018 / Jan 2018 / Oct 2017 / Jul 2017 / Apr 2017 / Jan 2017 / Sep 2016 / Jun 2016 / Feb 2016
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreements 871130 and 654384.